Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Tips, Tricks, and Tidbits Part 2


Just because you change to a healthier lifestyle doesn't mean that you have to give up on desserts.  I have found a couple of ways that you can still enjoy ice cream.  The first one is Banana Ice Cream.  This is also a good way to use your ripened bananas.  For banana ice cream all you need is a frozen banana.  Take the banana, wrap it in plastic wrap so it doesn't get freezer burn, and place it in the freezer for a few hours.  After the banana is frozen break it up into a couple of chunks, although I guess you could do that before you freeze it, and toss it in a food processor and pulse.  It may take a bit but it will turn into ice cream.  I do like to add about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, depending on the size of the banana, just to help with the creaminess.  Now that's just the base and it's delicious as is, but if you want there are several things you can add to the ice cream.  You can add peanut butter, mini chocolate chips, frozen strawberries, a bit of chocolate sauce or really anything you can think of.  Just remember that with every mix in or topping you add more calories.  Another dessert I make is frozen yogurt sandwiches.  This one takes just 2 ingredients.  Healthy Choice Frozen Yogurt, they come in individual servings, and a graham cracker.  Just scoop out the frozen yogurt, place between the graham cracker and enjoy.  Recently I found Blue Bunny Double Strawberry Light Ice Cream that is only 90 calories for 1/2 cup.  And this also made a very yummy ice cream sandwich.
 

A few years ago Walmart decided that we needed a Supercenter instead of the small one we were used to.  Instead of plastic grocery bags they switched to paper bags. And needless to say we all had a huge collection of paper bags.  I would gather them all up and take them back to the store to recycle them. One day I was at my mother in law's house because she was going to show me how to make fried burritos, my husband loves them, and they really are delicious.  After frying the burritos she set them on the paper bags to drain the excess oil.  That gave me an idea.  I buy lean ground beef/turkey, the 93/7 one.  I noticed that there was still grease in the pan after I was done browning the meat.  So I started using the paper bags to drain the ground beef/turkey after cooking it. Here is what I do now, while the meat is cooking I'll take a bag, set it on the table and line it with a couple of paper towels.  After the meat is browned I'll pour it onto the paper towels and press as much grease as I can out. Then I'll wipe the frying pan and spoon with a paper towel, and return the meat to the pan to finish the recipe I am working on.  I was really surprised at how much grease the meat will release.  And I don't add any extra oil to the pan.  I have a friend that rinses her cooked ground meat in hot water after it's browned. Which ever way works for you, just another simple step to make things healthier.





 
My husband and I very rarely go out to eat for dinner.  It has to be a special occasion, birthday or our anniversary.  But we do go out for lunch.  And there is a local Mexican food restaurant that we love going to.  It's called Bienvenidos and they have the second best grilled chicken salad in town, mine is better, although my husband may argue that point.  The only problem is they don't have my salad dressing.  I like a zesty Italian, and I bought a raspberry balsamic vinaigrette that I really love, and I also purchased a balsamic vinaigrette that is super delicious too.  My daughter had an itty bitty ketchup bottle that was sitting around empty.  And I had the idea to put a serving of salad dressing, 2 tbsp., in it and take it with me. When we go, I'll order my salad, with no cheese and no dressing.  When the salad gets to the table, I'll add some salsa and then whip out my trusty little bottle of salad dressing.  After I pour it on my salad I'll just drop it back in my purse.  Just don't forget to take it out once you get home and wash it.  I've done that.  And now I have a itty bitty empty bottle. 

The last tip I have is using a toaster oven.  When I first bought it my husband said I would NEVER use it.  HA! I use it all the time.  I think I paid 20 bucks for it and it was money well spent.  Mostly I use it for making tostadas.  I didn't want to turn on the big huge oven just to make two tostadas.  I'll preheat the toaster oven to 375, and turn the timer all the way on, other wise the toaster oven doesn't start preheating.  I like to put foil on the baking tray so that it won't get all yucky.  I spray the foil lined baking sheet with Pam.  Warm up the corn tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds each, just to make them pliable, and place them on the baking sheet, thend spray the topside with Pam, so the tortillas will get crispy.  Put them in the toaster oven and bake about 10 minutes flipping once.  You have to keep an eye on them because they will burn.  The first time I tried it I ended up with two black discs.  I also use my toaster oven to make fish sticks for my daughter.  Another thing I do is toast 3-4 pieces of frozen garlic toast, that way there isn't a whole bunch and we won't be tempted to eat them all. I just take out the slices of garlic toast we are going to use and put the rest back in the freezer. I also have a recipe for breakfast taquitos.  And I bake them in my toaster oven.



Bacon Breakfast Taquitos

1/3 cup egg substitute
1 light creamy Swiss cheese wedge
2 yellow corn tortillas
1 slice bacon

Preheat toaster oven to 375. Spray baking pan with nonstick spray. Cook 1 strip of bacon according to package directions.   In a large microwave-safe mug sprayed with Pam, microwave 1/3 cup of egg substitute for 45 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 45 seconds, or until set.  Mix in cheese. Chop or crumble bacon and stir into mixture.  Place tortillas between 2 damp paper towels. Microwave for 15 seconds, or until warm and pliable.  Evenly distribute egg mixture between two tortillas. Tightly roll each tortilla and place seam side down in the baking pan. Lightly spray with Pam. Bake until crispy, 10-12 minutes.   Serve with salsa.

And you can make these taquitos with turkey sausage as well.  If you don't like the flavor of egg substitute you can use a flavored Laughing Cow cheese wedge, like garlic and herb, French onion, pepper jack, and you can season the egg substitute with Mrs. Dash and pepper. I hate Egg Beaters, but these taquitos are delicious!

One more quick thing, I also buy bacon that is fully cooked.  That way I just take out what I'm going to use and put the rest back in the fridge.  If I make a whole pan of bacon, no one can resist it.  NO ONE.





So that's it for now.  Keep up the good work and if you have any tips, tricks, or tidbits just let me know.  I'm always interesting in seeing what works for other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment