Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Meet Me at the Gym

 It's amazing all the things that can happen in a years time.
 

When I first started I didn't know what to expect.  I joined the local gym.  It's part of the hospital here in town.  My dear friend was and still is an instructor there and she has her own workout class called "Healthy Beginnings".  Beginning that was me, so I started going and working out with her.  And those first few days I could barely walk.  It was frustrating trying to get my body to do exactly what I wanted.  But she showed me how to modify the harder exercises so that I could do them.  After a while it started getting where I could do more and more.  And didn't have to modify as much.  Push yourself, how will you truly know if you can if you don't even try?


People say, "It gets easier."  That's not true.  YOU GET STRONGER!  But you can't give up and you have to do both cardio and strength training.  It takes both working together to build the body you want.  Walk on the treadmill, pick up weights.   I started walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes, incline 3, speed 2.7.  Then I went to 30 minutes, now I do on average 45 minutes.  I up the incline to different levels through out the time I'm walking from 7 all the way up to 15, and I have built up the speed to 3.6.  I would love to start jogging on the treadmill, but I'm scared to let go.  I don't walk in a straight line so I'm pretty sure I don't jog in a straight line and I'm pretty sure I don't want to end up on a youtube video flying off.  So instead of jogging on the treadmill, I get on the elliptical.  Again starting off I could only do 5 minutes.  That thing was a beast.  I have built up my endurance and now I can do 30 minutes.  On average though after workout class I only do 15 minutes.  Right now I'm working on building speed.  So I figured 15 minutes and trying to keep the speed up is pretty good.


I'm at the gym 7 days a week.  There are days I go alone.  I hold myself accountable and make sure that I get a workout in every single day.  Even if it's just a quick workout. 


Enjoy your workouts.  Have fun.  Listen to music.  Turn the TV on.  Even though I listen to music it's nice to have the TV on in the background.  It's a good judge of time.  Commercials on...go faster.  I tell people that at home they can get in a 30 minute workout while watching Jeopardy.  Work your body and your mind all at the same time.  Oh and by the way when I walk on the treadmill I look at pinterest.  It makes the time go by faster.  Bonus, I get new I ideas for dinners, and look at different workouts.  While I'm on the elliptical, I'll admit it, I play Candy Crush.  BUT...if there are classes at your gym, join them.  Especially if you're just starting out and not sure what to do.  Besides, it so much fun.  And I have come to think of my workout buddies as my fitness sisters.  We are family tied together with sweat and laughter.  We have seen each other fall and offered a hand to help get back up.  We have seen each other succeed and celebrated with hugs and high fives.  We have given each other support, tips, and advice.  We are a tight bunch!  I love you girls!


About a year after joining the gym, I got an offer to become an instructor.  I was extremely flabbergasted!  I couldn't believe it.  The year before I was so heavy that I had to modify the exercises.  And now I was being give the opportunity to help others.  So of course I said yes.  The funniest thing when I got my first paycheck stub it said "Fitness Instructor."  I just giggled to think that now I get paid to workout.  I have such a passion for this.  I guess it's true do what you love and if you get paid to do it, even better.  Honestly I would have done it for free.  But don't tell them that.





Then I needed a name for my class.  After much debating, soul searching, and asking for ideas.  I settled on "Total Tone."  I wanted people to be able to at a quick glance, have an idea of what my class is about.  It will be a mixture of cardio and strength training.  And my biggest hope to help people find a place where they feel a sense of not being alone.  Even though this is a personal journey, we are all trying to achieve the same goals.  Lose weight, get fit, be healthy.




So the best piece of advice I have is to stick with it.  You are a whole lot stronger than you give yourself credit for.  A year will pass by anyway so you might as well make the best use out of it.  And getting fit is the best gift you can ever give for yourself!  And who know maybe someday you'll be the one leading the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment