Saturday, April 4, 2015

Recipes for Prepped Chicken

The one and most important food that I prep for use through out the week is boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  I use a lemon pepper marinade.  First I trim all the fat off of chicken breasts.  Then, with a meat mallet, I pound them all to an equal thickness.  Put them in a ziplock baggy and refrigerate about 6 hours.  When I get ready to cook the chicken.  I spray a frying pan with Pam, and heat on medium.  Then I take the chicken sprinkle it with lemon pepper seasoning and place them in the pan.  Cook for about 6 or 7 minutes.  Flip them over and continue to cook for 6 to 7 minutes.  Take them out of the pan and place in a baking dish to cool down.  Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to use.  And when I get down to one piece of chicken, I prep some more, so that I never run out.

The first dish you can make right away is a chicken sandwich. I use sandwich thins.  They are 100 calories and come in different kinds.  Like whole wheat, multi-grain, and honey wheat.  All equally delicious, and all have about the same nutritional value so just pick the one you like best.  For these sandwiches, I use Laughing Cow cheese, mustard, spinach, a slice of tomato and a couple of pieces of bacon, and 4 to 5 ounces of chicken.   You can serve it with chips, sometimes I eat veggie straws, or just fresh vegetables and a side of hummus.  If you don't like mustard you can use mayo.  I have one for my husband that is made with canola oil.  Or you can use hummus, or pesto.

You can also use your prepped chicken to top a salad.  Just add all your salad ingredients to a large bowl.  Slice about 3 ounces of cold chicken, or you can warm it up in the microwave for 20 seconds if you prefer, add it to the top.  Add salad dressing, fresh lemon juice, I know some people like cottage cheese.  It's your salad make it the way you like it.  It's great way to get in all your vegetables, dark leafy greens, and some protein.  And if you prep all your salad ingredients this is a very nutritious and quick lunch to throw together.  This is what I have for lunch almost every day.  Just remember when you starting adding heavy salad dressings, croutons, and cheese that's when a good salad can go bad.

The next idea is chicken and black bean taquitos.  This is where my toaster oven comes in handy.  I preheat it to about 350.  Warm up two corn tortillas in the microwave.  Line the toaster oven baking sheet with foil and spray it with Pam.  On one of the tortillas, spread 1/2 a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, spread black beans, and sprinkle 1/3 cup of shredded chicken.  Repeat with the second tortilla.  Then roll them up and place them on the baking sheet.  Spray the tops of the tortillas with Pam.  And bake in the toaster oven for about 10 minutes or until crispy.

I also use the chicken in a spaghetti squash dish.  I roast my spaghetti squash in the oven for 45 minutes at 375.  Once it's done.  I will add 2 cups of the roasted spaghetti squash to the bowl.  I like to add vegetables as well.  My favorite is the Green Giant Steamers: Healthy Vision mix.  It has sliced carrots, zucchini quarters, and sliced green beans lightly tossed with rosemary butter sauce.  Since the veggies come in their own sauce you don't have to add extra to the dish.  Once again you can use any kind of vegetables you want.  Also you can use a spaghetti sauce, an Alfredo sauce, or even pesto in place of the vegetables.  Then take 6 ounces of chicken, slice it and warm it up in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.  Place it on top of everything.  Sprinkle the whole shebang with crushed red pepper and enjoy!  And since you are cutting out the pasta by substituting spaghetti squash for it you can add a piece of garlic toast.


Another way the chicken can be used is in burritos.  For this dish I take a Flatout flatbread.  Those are 90 calories for the light ones.  And they also come in different flavors: original, Italian, and rosemary.  I get the original.  Spread Laughing Cow cheese, black beans, 4 ounces of warmed up chicken.  Throw some salsa on top.  Roll it up.  Top with sour cream, and even more salsa.  YUM!
I was surfing good ole Pinterest and I came across this recipe: http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/show/low-cal-bacon-chicken-pizza It's a chicken bacon pizza.  And I thought to myself there's another use for my trusty chicken.  Of course I have a tendency to tweak recipes and that's what I did here.  Preheat toaster oven to 375.  In a small bowl, mix Laughing Cow cheese, 2 tsp. light sour cream, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, and 1/8 tsp. Italian seasoning until smooth.  Spread it on top of a pita bread.  Sprinkle with crushed red pepper.  Add 3 to 4 ounces of chopped chicken.  Sprinkle 1 tbsp. of mozzarella cheese, top with sliced cherry tomatoes and 2 slices of fully cooked bacon.  Bake in my toaster oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is nice a bubbly.

Again I was on Pinterest and I found this recipe: http://foodbabe.com/2015/01/12/mexican-lentil-tortilla-soup/  This is possibly the most delicious soup I have ever had!  And I couldn't wait to add some chicken to it.  This is how I make the soup:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup lentils
14 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried coriander
1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
    6 cups low sodium chicken broth
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add lentils, chicken broth, tomatoes, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, Mrs. Dash, pepper, and cilantro. Bring to a boil and turn down heat to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes. 

A cup of this soup is about 88 calories!!! To serve the soup I pour 1 1/2 cups of soup in a large bowl.  Add 2 to 3 ounces of diced chicken, 1 corn tortilla, and the juice of one lime wedge!  OH MY GOODNESS is it good!  Why I still buy cans of soup is beyond me.  This one is flavorful, packed with fresh vegetables, and it's just amazing.

The last method I have is my favorite.  Chicken Tostadas.  Oh yeah.  So you can have chicken tacos if you want but it's so much better in tostadas.  And your filling won't fall out the back when you are eating them.  For this dinner I also use my toaster oven.  Preheat it to 375.  Line the baking pan with foil, and spray it with Pam.  Warm up two corn tortillas in the microwave.  Place them flat on the baking sheet and then spray the tops with Pam.  Bake for about 10 minutes turning once until light brown and toasty.  Keep on eye on them because they will go from being perfect to burnt in a blink of an eye.  I know, it's happened to me.  Once they are done.  I split one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese between the two corn tostadas.  Then spread black beans, divide 6 ounces of diced warmed chicken and pile it on top, add salsa, sour cream, and devour.  You can add any kind of salsa and guacamole as well.

So there are lots and lots of ways to use your chicken.  And don't forget that you can also use it in any recipe that calls for cooked chicken.  Like enchiladas, casseroles, pot pies, stir fry, or soups.  And if you need any other ideas there's always Pinterest.  Happy pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment