Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Dinner Menu November 14 to November 20

How much water should we be drinking a day?  The old stand by is 8 cups a day.  But after doing lots and lots of research I have found several different places that say what you should do is take your body weight divide it in half and that is the number of ounces you should be drinking in a day...at least. Example:  Let us say you weigh 150 pounds then you should be drinking AT LEAST 75 ounces of water a day.  If you are physically active then you should drink more.  Drink during workouts and after especially if you got really sweaty.   I use two different glasses, one for home, and one that I take to the gym.  Both 4 cup or 32 ounces.  At home I drink 3-32 ounces through out the day, one with breakfast, one with lunch, and one with dinner.  And since I workout twice or even three times at the gym I drink a lot of water there too.  When I was at my heaviest 280 I had to drink 140 ounces of water a day and I just got used to it. So that's why I still drink that much water.  Besides I always loved water so it wasn't that hard for me to get used to drinking so much of it.  Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink.  By that time your body is begging for water.

Saturday:  Race Day!!!  Today I ran in what will probably be the last 5K of the year. My friend, Teresa and I participated in the Wicked Wine Run! The weather was nice and the scenery was beautiful.  Jogging through the vineyard and along the river!!! We had a blast and finished the run in just under 38 minutes.  That brings me up to four 5Ks for 2015. I can't wait to see what next year will bring. I'm already looking forward to signing up for the Insane Inflatable 5K in March of 2016...after that I guess I'll just have to wait and see!






Sunday:  Pork & Potato Skillet, black beans, and green beans.  This one dish dinner is a great combination of pork chops, hash browns, and vegetables.






Pork and Potato Skillet

4 boneless pork loin center cut chops
1 tsp. Lawry's 25% less sodium seasoned salt
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 3/4 inch squares
1/2 of a 32 oz pkg of hash browns, thawed
2 cups frozen peas & carrots
1 tsp. dried leaves thyme
1 tbsp. canola oil

Sprinkle both sides of chops with 1/2 tsp. of seasoned salt. Spray a large skillet with Pam and heat over medium high. Add chops; reduce heat to medium. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until juices run clear, turning once. Remove chops from skillet. Carefully add oil to skillet. Add onion and bell pepper; cook for 1 minute. Stir in potatoes, peas and carrots, thyme and remaining 1/2 tsp. of seasoned salt. Cook, uncovered, for 6 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.  Place chops on top of potatoes in skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, for 2 minutes or until chops are heated through and potatoes are brown.

I always have black beans in my fridge.  It's one of the foods that I prep.  I buy a can of No Salt Added whole black beans, not the refried ones.  Rinse them in a colander.  I take a medium size skillet add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.  Heat over medium, and once the water is hot I add the beans.  Then I season them with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, hot sauce, and 25% less sodium seasoned salt.  Stir it all up and then mash them.  You can add more water if you want them to be bit more runny.  And all the seasonings are to taste.  Just depends on your taste buds.  I cook them for about 5-7 minutes on low.  And then after they have cooled down I keep them in the fridge for tostadas, burritos, or just as a side.
 
For the green beans, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

Monday:  One Pan Enchilada Pasta, black beans, and mixed veggies.  Here is a recipe that I found on pinterest.  Of course I changed it to suit my needs.  But here is the link to the original recipe.  http://www.number-2-pencil.com/2013/12/09/one-pan-enchilada-pasta/

This is my version: 

One Pan Enchilada Pasta
1 lb. 93/7 lean ground beef or lean ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 (1 oz) package Old El Paso 25% less sodium taco seasoning mix
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 (15 oz.) can enchilada sauce
1/2 c. water
2 1/2 cups uncooked rotini
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet over medium heat cook the ground beef, garlic, and onions until browned. Add the taco mix and follow directions on the package. Add the dry pasta, chicken broth, water, and enchilada sauce to pan. Bring to boil, the reduce heat to low and cover. Cook on low, with pan covered for about 15 minutes. Remove lid and let simmer for additional 5 minutes until pasta is tender and sauce has reduced. Stir in cheese until melted. Serve.
I always have black beans in my fridge.  It's one of the foods that I prep.  I buy a can of No Salt Added whole black beans, not the refried ones.  Rinse them in a colander.  I take a medium size skillet add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.  Heat over medium, and once the water is hot I add the beans.  Then I season them with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, hot sauce, and 25% less sodium seasoned salt.  Stir it all up and then mash them.  You can add more water if you want them to be bit more runny.  And all the seasonings are to taste.  Just depends on your taste buds.  I cook them for about 5-7 minutes on low.  And then after they have cooled down I keep them in the fridge for tostadas, burritos, or just as a side.
 
For the mixed veggies, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

Tuesday:  Chicken & Broccoli Stir fry, brown rice, and Asian mixed veggies.  This classic recipe is full of fresh and delicious flavor, and it's ready in just 12 minutes.






Chicken & Broccoli Stir fry


3 tbsp less sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp unsweetened rice vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp olive oil
5 cups broccoli, chopped
2 cups carrot strips
16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces

Heat olive oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken breast, and if desired, season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned and mostly cooked through. While chicken is cooking, in a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, cornstarch, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil until combined. Set aside. Once chicken is browned, add the broccoli and carrots and stir to combine. Continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes, until the vegetables are crisp. Stir in the soy sauce mixture, and cook for an additional 1 minute until sauce has thickened.  Remove from heat and serve immediately.  If desired garnish with thinly sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds.

Brown rice is a boil in the bag kind.  Just make it according to package directions.  I like to toss a cube of chicken broth into the water to flavor the rice.  When it's done, I season the rice with Mrs. Dash, a splash of less sodium soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp. Land O'Lakes Light Butter with Canola.

For the Asian veggies, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.
Wednesday:  Leftovers.  Chicken Tostadas and cracker chips.  So you can have chicken tacos if you want but it's so much better in tostadas.  And your filling won't fall out the back when you are eating them.  For this dinner I also use my toaster oven.  Preheat it to 375.  Line the baking pan with foil, and spray it with Pam.  Warm up two corn tortillas in the microwave.  Place them flat on the baking sheet and then spray the tops with Pam.  Bake for about 10 minutes turning once until light brown and toasty.  Keep on eye on them because they will go from being perfect to burnt in a blink of an eye.  I know, it's happened to me.  Once they are done.  I split one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese between the two corn tostadas.  Then spread black beans, divide 6 ounces of diced warmed chicken and pile it on top, add salsa, sour cream, and devour.  You can add any kind of salsa and guacamole as well.

Thursday:  Au Gratin Sausage Skillet, black beans, and green beans.  This dinner comes together fairly quickly when you're short on time.  You don't have to slave away all day to make dinner.  Most of these recipes can come together in no time.




Au Gratin Sausage Skillet


1 pkg. smoked sausage, halved and sliced
1 (4.7 oz) box Betty Crocker Au Gratin Cheesy Potatoes
2 1/2 cups water
2 (12 oz) bags Birds Eye Steamfresh broccoli, cauliflower & carrots

In a large skillet sprayed with Pam, cook sausage until lightly browned; drain. Add potatoes with contents of sauce mix and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 18-20 minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally.  Add vegetables; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes and vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 2 minutes.

I always have black beans in my fridge.  It's one of the foods that I prep.  I buy a can of No Salt Added whole black beans, not the refried ones.  Rinse them in a colander.  I take a medium size skillet add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.  Heat over medium, and once the water is hot I add the beans.  Then I season them with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, hot sauce, and 25% less sodium seasoned salt.  Stir it all up and then mash them.  You can add more water if you want them to be bit more runny.  And all the seasonings are to taste.  Just depends on your taste buds.  I cook them for about 5-7 minutes on low.  And then after they have cooled down I keep them in the fridge for tostadas, burritos, or just as a side.
 
For the green beans, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

Friday:  Roasted Chicken & Potatoes and mixed veggies. A delicious dinner and all you need to do is a side and dinner is yum and done!







Herb Roasted Chicken and Potatoes

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. leaves dried thyme
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 (1.5 lb) bag Melissa's Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes
1/2 tsp. Lawry's 25% less sodium seasoned salt

Place chicken in a glass bowl. In a small bowl combine lemon juice, oil, rosemary, thyme, and pepper. Reserve 1/3 cup of the mixture and pour remainder over chicken; toss to coat well. Cover and let stand at room temp. for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400. Cut potatoes into wedges; and toss with the reserved 1/3 cup marinade. Spray a 9x13 in. baking dish with Pam and place chicken in prepared dish. Arrange potatoes and then pour remaining marinade around the edge of the pan. Sprinkle everything with salt.  Place dish in oven and bake 40-45 minutes or until chicken and potatoes are done.    

For the mixed veggies, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment