Monday, October 12, 2015

Dinner Menu October 3 to October 9

Just because you change to a healthier lifestyle doesn't mean that you have to give up on desserts.  I have found a couple of ways that you can still enjoy ice cream.  The first one is Banana Ice Cream.  This is also a good way to use your ripened bananas.  For banana ice cream all you need is a frozen banana.  Take the banana, wrap it in plastic wrap so it doesn't get freezer burn, and place it in the freezer for a few hours.  After the banana is frozen break it up into a couple of chunks, although I guess you could do that before you freeze it, and toss it in a food processor and pulse.  It may take a bit but it will turn into ice cream.  I do like to add about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, depending on the size of the banana, just to help with the creaminess.  Now that's just the base and it's delicious as is, but if you want there are several things you can add to the ice cream.  You can add peanut butter, mini chocolate chips, frozen strawberries, a bit of chocolate sauce or really anything you can think of.  Just remember that with every mix in or topping you add more calories.  Another dessert I make is frozen yogurt sandwiches.  This one takes just 2 ingredients.  Healthy Choice Frozen Yogurt, they come in individual servings, and a graham cracker.  Just scoop out the frozen yogurt, place between the graham cracker and enjoy.  Recently I found Blue Bunny Double Strawberry Light Ice Cream that is only 90 calories for 1/2 cup.  And this also made a very yummy ice cream sandwich.

Saturday:  Swordfish, asparagus, and fries.  I have never made swordfish, and I never will again.   My mom bought a whole bunch of frozen fish and I decided to take charge of making the different kinds of fish.  I HATED the swordfish.  Sorry if any of y'all like it.  I probably made it wrong.  I just followed the directions on the box and baked it at 400 for 25 minutes.  It was yucky.  I don't have any more swordfish so there will be no more of that.  Now I just have a box of tuna steaks and tilapia.

Today I bough fresh asparagus.  I have Ziploc steamer bags and they are fabulous.  They have instructions on how to steam veggies and certain proteins right on the bag.  So I just followed the directions for steaming asparagus and when it was done I tossed them with lemon juice, pepper, crushed red pepper, and Mrs. Dash.

The french fries were a single serving tray that you can just pop in the microwave.  Follow the directions.  When they are done I like to pour them into a bowl, sprinkle with Mrs. Dash, pepper and dried dill.  Toss to coat and then serve! 

Sunday:  Impossible Mini Cheeseburger Pies and broccoli cheesy rice.  I love recipes that have individually sized servings.  And this one has individually sized mini cheeseburgers.  A huge plus is that my daughter LOVES these!








Mini Cheeseburger Pies

1 lb lean ground beef
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup 1% fat milk
1/2 cup Bisquick original mix
2 eggs
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Heat oven to 375 °F. Spray 12 regular size muffin cups with cooking spray.  In a skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain. Cool 5 minutes.  Stir in Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and cheese.  In a medium bowl stir milk, egg, and Bisquick with whisk until blended.  Spoon 1 tablespoon Bisquick mixture into each muffin cup. Top with 1/4 cup burger mixture. Spoon 1 tablespoon Bisquick mixture onto burger mixture in each muffin cup.  Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and muffins are golden brown. Cool 5 minutes.  With a thin knife loosen muffins from pan. Remove from pan and place on cooling rack. Cool for 10 more minutes. Serve.

 The broccoli and cheesy rice was actually from the freezer section.  Just follow the directions for an easy simple side.

Monday:  Green Chicken Enchiladas, black beans, and green beans.  A different spin on enchiladas.   This one is a creamier milder version.  If you want to make it spicier you can add another can of chopped green chiles and/or substitute a can of green enchilada sauce for one of the cans of cream of chicken soups.







Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas

1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 (10.75 oz) can Campbell's Healthy Request Cheddar Cheese Soup
2 (10.75 oz) cans Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
18 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with Pam.  Combine cooked chicken, soups, chilies, salt, and pepper. In baking pan layer tortillas, chicken mixture, and cheese; ending with cheese on top.  Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling.

I always have black beans in my fridge.  It's one of the foods that I prep along with chicken.  I buy a can of No Salt Added whole black beans, not the refried ones.  Rinse them in a colander.  I take a medium size skillet add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.  Heat over medium, and once the water is hot I add the beans.  Then I season them with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, hot sauce, and 25% less sodium seasoned salt.  Stir it all up and then mash them.  You can add more water if you want them to be bit more runny.  And all the seasonings are to taste.  Just depends on your taste buds.  I cook them for about 5-7 minutes on low.  This is actually one of the foods that I prep on Sundays.  And then after they have cooled down I keep them in the fridge for tostadas, burritos, or just as a side.
 
For the green beans, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

Tuesday:  Meat and Potato Casserole, black beans, and broccoli.  Yes, my family loves this dinner.  We usually have it every few weeks.  It's super simple and very flavorful!









Meat and Potato Casserole

1 lb 93/7 lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 (10.5 oz) can Campbell's 98% fat free condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash
4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with Pam.  In a frying pan, brown beef and onion together until beef is done. Stir Italian seasoning into beef mixture.  Lay a third of the potatoes on bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle potatoes with some of the Mrs. Dash and some pepper. Spread half the beef mixture on top.  Repeat layers, ending with potato layer.   Combine soup and water. Spread soup mixture over top. Cover and back 1 hour.

I always have black beans in my fridge.  It's one of the foods that I prep along with chicken.  I buy a can of No Salt Added whole black beans, not the refried ones.  Rinse them in a colander.  I take a medium size skillet add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.  Heat over medium, and once the water is hot I add the beans.  Then I season them with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, hot sauce, and 25% less sodium seasoned salt.  Stir it all up and then mash them.  You can add more water if you want them to be bit more runny.  And all the seasonings are to taste.  Just depends on your taste buds.  I cook them for about 5-7 minutes on low.  This is actually one of the foods that I prep on Sundays.  And then after they have cooled down I keep them in the fridge for tostadas, burritos, or just as a side.
 
For the broccoli, it's the frozen kind.  You can steam it right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once it is done, I'll pour it into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

Wednesday:  Leftovers.  Chicken Tostadas and cracker chips.  Oh yeah.  So you can have chicken tacos if you want but it's so much better in tostadas.  And your filling won't fall out the back when you are eating them.  For this dinner I also use my toaster oven.  Preheat it to 375.  Line the baking pan with foil, and spray it with Pam.  Warm up two corn tortillas in the microwave.  Place them flat on the baking sheet and then spray the tops with Pam.  Bake for about 10 minutes turning once until light brown and toasty.  Keep on eye on them because they will go from being perfect to burnt in a blink of an eye.  I know, it's happened to me.  Once they are done.  I split one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese between the two corn tostadas.  Then spread black beans, divide 6 ounces of diced warmed chicken and pile it on top, add salsa, sour cream, and devour.  You can add any kind of salsa and guacamole as well.

Thursday:  Chicken Pasta & Veggies.  A delicious chicken pasta salad using lots of veggies.









Chicken Bowtie Pasta & Veggies

1 tbsp. canola oil
1 (16 oz) bag California style vegetable mix, thawed
1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz. bowtie pasta, cooked
2 c. skinless chicken breast, cooked and cubed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Kraft Natural shredded Italian Style Five Cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat; saute vegetables and garlic together until lightly golden and tender.   Stir in cooked pasta, cooked chicken, and salt. Sprinkle with cheeses and stir until melted.

Friday:  Chicken Sandwich.  I was going to make Fiesta Taco Pie/Casserole tonight, but I had a very long week.  Tonight we opted for McDonald's.  I had a grilled chicken sandwich from there without mayo.  And I didn't get the meal just the sandwich. 

No comments:

Post a Comment