Monday, September 7, 2015

Dinner Menu August 29 to September 4

My weekly menu starts on Saturday and ends on Friday. On Thursday I decide what I'm going to make the following week. And Friday is grocery shopping day.  The night before I set out all the non perishables that I need for the next day.  And everyday by 4:30, after picking up my daughter and walking my dogs, I get started on dinner.  That way it's on the table by 6pm.  I also try not to have the same kind of protein two days in a row.  So if we have ground beef one night then I try to have turkey or pork or chicken the next night.  It doesn't always work out that way but that's the idea.






Saturday:  Chili-lime Cod, Southwest Pasta Salad, and green beans.  Bake your fish!  It's so good and it really doesn't take a long time. 










Chili Lime and Cumin Cod

1 lb cod
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1 tbsp. light canola butter
1/8 tsp. cumin
juice of 1/2 lime

Heat oven to 450.  Coat an oven safe pan with Pam.  Place cod in pan.  In a small bowl combine chili powder, oregano, and seasoned salt.  Sprinkle evenly over the cod.  Roast 7-10 minutes or until opaque.  In a small microwave safe bowl melt the butter.  Add the cumin and lime juice and microwave for an additional 10 seconds.  Before serving drizzle butter mixture over cod.

Southwest Pasta Salad

8 oz uncooked fusilli (you can use pretty much any kind of short pasta)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup corn, drained (if using frozen, then thaw first)
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
FOR THE DRESSING:
3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp. honey
1-2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Once the pasta is done rinse with cool water and transfer to large bowl.  Add black beans, corn and tomatoes; gently stir with a spoon to combine.  In a small bowl combine the dressing ingredients.  Mix well.  Add dressing to pasta and stir well to combine and coat all of the pasta.   Cover and refrigerate for an hour, then serve cold.


For the veggies, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, and pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

Sunday:  Honey Cashew Chicken, brown rice, and Asian veggies.  Stir frys are easy and quick. I like to make mine with lots of fresh veggies.  You can use the frozen ones, but I just love using fresh vegetables.







Honey Cashew Chicken

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. sesame seed oil
5 cups chopped broccoli
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups strips or slices carrots
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 cup cashew halves & pieces
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
3 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. less sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. sriracha hot chili sauce
Combine chicken, cornstarch, Mrs. Dash, and pepper in a bowl; toss to coat. Heat a wok or large skillet to medium high heat. Add canola oil and sesame oil. Add chicken mixture, and saute 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Increase heat to high, and add broccoli, carrots, garlic, onion, and red bell pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender and chicken is done, stirring frequently. Stir in cashews. Combine vinegar, honey, soy sauce, and sriracha in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add vinegar mixture to chicken mixture. Toss to coat. Serve with brown rice if desired.

Brown rice is a boil in the bag kind.  Just make it according to package directions.  I like to toss a cube of chicken broth into the water to flavor the rice.  When it's done, I season the rice with Mrs. Dash, a splash of less sodium soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp. Land O'Lakes Light Butter with Canola.
For the veggies, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, and pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

Monday:  Dined out.  Today was my uncle's birthday.  And since he does a lot for us, fixing our plumbing, or changing out my broken headlight, we decided to take him out for dinner.  I had chicken tacos.  And I am pretty sure I got food poisoning.  The next day I was very sick.  Yikes.  I guess it's better to make my own chicken then I can be sure that it's cook all the way.

Tuesday: Burrito Night.  This was the day I was sick.  Cooking was out of the question.  When I finally trusted myself to try to eat something I had a bowl of Progresso Southwestern Chicken soup and some toast.  Had someone else been sick or had I been brave enough to cook something this is the recipe that I LOVE for chicken soup.


(see how much yummier my homemade soup looks!)

Mexican Lentil Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup lentils
14 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried coriander
1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add lentils, chicken broth, tomatoes, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, Mrs. Dash, pepper, and cilantro. Bring to a boil and turn down heat to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
A cup of this soup is about 88 calories!!! To serve the soup I pour 1 1/2 cups of soup in a large bowl.  Add 2 to 3 ounces of diced chicken, 1 corn tortilla, and the juice of one lime wedge!  OH MY GOODNESS is it good!  Why I still buy cans of soup is beyond me.  This one is flavorful, packed with fresh vegetables, and it's just amazing.

Wednesday: Leftovers. Chicken Tostadas.  Thank goodness this day I was much better.  I was still a little weak from the day before, but at least I was able to eat.  For this dish I use my toaster oven.  Preheat it to 375.  Line the baking pan with foil, and spray it with Pam.  Warm up two corn tortillas in the microwave.  Place them flat on the baking sheet and then spray the tops with Pam.  Bake for about 10 minutes turning once until light brown and toasty.  Keep on eye on them because they will go from being perfect to burnt in a blink of an eye.  I know, it's happened to me.  Once they are done.  I split one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese between the two corn tostadas.  Then spread black beans, divide 6 ounces of diced warmed chicken and pile it on top, add salsa, sour cream, and devour.  You can add any kind of salsa and guacamole as well.

Thursday:  Fiesta Beef O'Brian Potatoes, black beans, and veggies.  This is an all in one meal.  And it's pretty simple to make.







Fiesta Beef O'Brian Potatoes


1 lb 93/7 lean ground beef
1 (1 oz) package 25% less sodium taco seasoning mix (or you can use your own)
1 (15.25) oz. can golden sweet whole kernel corn (no salt added), drained
1 (10 1/2 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 1/2 oz) can cheddar cheese soup
2/3 cup low sodium beef broth
1 (32 oz) bag diced hash browns, thawed

In a microwave safe bowl place potatoes and water. Cover with saran wrap and microwave on high for 10 minutes, stirring twice, or until tender.  While potatoes are cooking prepare beef and taco seasoning according to directions on taco seasoning package.  In a small bowl whisk together soups and beef broth until well blended. Add to beef mixture and stir in corn and potatoes. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until heated through.

Taco Seasoning


1 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Mix everything together and then store in an airtight container.

I always have black beans in my fridge.  It's one of the foods that I prep along with chicken.  I buy a can of No Salt Added whole black beans, not the refried ones.  Rinse them in a colander.  I take a medium size skillet add about 1/4 cup of water.  Heat over medium, and once the water is hot I add the beans.  Then I season them with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, hot sauce, and 25% less sodium seasoned salt.  Stir it all up and then mash them.  You can add more water if you want them to be bit more runny.  And all the seasonings are to taste.  Just depends on your taste buds.  I cook them for about 5-7 minutes on low.  This is actually one of the foods that I prep on Sundays.  And then after they have cooled down I keep them in the fridge for tostadas, burritos, or just as a side.

For the veggies, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, and pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

Friday:  Chicken Spaghetti, black beans, and mixed veggies.








Chicken Spaghetti


1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 13.25 oz box whole wheat spaghetti
32 oz bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed
26 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 tsp dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp oregano leaves
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tbsp canola oil

Boil spaghetti according to directions.  Meanwhile, cut chicken into 1" bite size pieces.  In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat cook chicken until no longer pink.  Add soup, broccoli, chicken broth, spices, and Velveeta. Lower heat to simmer and heat through. If the sauce is too thick for your liking, then add 1/4 cup water.  Once the pasta is done, pour chicken mixture over and stir to combine. Serve.

I always have black beans in my fridge.  It's one of the foods that I prep along with chicken.  I buy a can of No Salt Added whole black beans, not the refried ones.  Rinse them in a colander.  I take a medium size skillet add about 1/4 cup of water.  Heat over medium, and once the water is hot I add the beans.  Then I season them with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, hot sauce, and 25% less sodium seasoned salt.  Stir it all up and then mash them.  You can add more water if you want them to be bit more runny.  And all the seasonings are to taste.  Just depends on your taste buds.  I cook them for about 5-7 minutes on low.  This is actually one of the foods that I prep on Sundays.  And then after they have cooled down I keep them in the fridge for tostadas, burritos, or just as a side.

For the veggies, they are the frozen ones.  You can steam them right in the bag.  Just follow the directions on the package.  Once they are done, I'll pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter, Mrs. Dash, and pepper.  Then toss to coat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment